Monday, February 4, 2013


Unit 8

This week we are discuss two of the exercises that we have practiced this semester. I have chosen the Subtle mind exercise and the Witnessing mind exercise.

The subtle mind exercise works very well for me each day to stay in control and be grounded using my breath as focus point. Coaching track and loving to run we have exercises that are similar when trying to breathe when our body is under stress from running. Learning how to stay grounded and maintain control of the body to perform not only in a race but in life shows direct correlation between the exercises immediate usefulness as well as the long term benefits of being grounded and having control of my thought and life. Control your breathing keeps you grounded, control your mind which then you can control your body.

The witnessing mind exercise was my first real step into understanding and wanting integral health. I was able to witness my restless, noisy mind ease and relax while I could allow the thoughts to float in and drift away without engaging them. This allowed me to become deeper involved into an almost calm-abiding when I could just move with the visions and not engage, this really allow me to focus on school, work, well everything. I have used this before doing schoolwork or accomplishing a task that needs focus and attention. This exercise allows me to have more room to input more information be less distracted when trying to focus.

Corban

2 comments:

  1. Hey Corban - glad that both of those worked for you. I think with practice we can become good at this but it is difficult to quite our minds as we were taught to multi-task and that was a good thing right? No one ever mentioned the chatter in our heads.
    Thanks for sharing --
    Lil Garcia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corban,

    The witnessing mind exercise is one of my favorites too! I like how it allows me to have my mind wander without feeling like I am failing at meditating. I tend to get frustrated at myself if I am not doing things well and I often felt this way about meditating before the witnessing mind exercise. I guess it goes to show you that there is a meditation technique for everyone!

    Pamela Johnson Davis

    ReplyDelete