Monday, January 7, 2013

Unit 4
So we had to listen to this loving kindness audio clip for class this week. I find this mostly boring, I can understand what the idea they hope to benefit but truly it just makes me tired. That was the most difficult part of this staying awake while listening to this recording drone on about how you should open your heart and have more feelings of love and kindness. Isn’t that what humanity is all about anyway having compassion and love for each other regardless of what they have done or who they are. So why do I need an audio recording telling me this? I really couldn’t recommend this to someone else but maybe that’s because I am not far enough along the 4 steps of Psychospiritual flourishing.

“Mental Workout” is addressed by Dr. Dacher through a metaphor that we must train our minds like an Olympian trains their body. To achieve more than simply resting and relaxation we must focus on a more contemplative ideology of mental workouts. Dr. Dacher talks of two different approaches in this chapter, one loving kindness and two the subtle minds, he states “contemplative practice is not rest and relaxation but rather the progressive development of an expanded consciousness and its healing capacities (pg65). I understand know why I was bored and overwhelmed my first time though these exercises it takes time and practice much like that of an Olympian working out every day. Implementing these mental workouts three times a week for an hour each day and journaling to see the progression can make a huge impact on my life.

Corban

EVERYTHING MEANINGFUL IN LIFE IS ACHIEVED THROUGH EFFORT, DISCIPLINE, AND PERSEVERANCE.

                                                                                                                             - Dr. Dacher

Reference:

Dacher, E. S. (2006). Integral health: The path to human flourishing. Laguna Beach: Basic Health Publications Inc.

3 comments:

  1. I love the quote that you put up from Dr. Dacher,"everything meaningful in life is achieved through effort, discipline and perserverance." I love the thought behind that. Things mean more when we have to work for them. It doesn't matter what it is either. The more blood, sweat and tears we put into something the more gratification we get when we accomplish it. I like to remind myself of that when I am working really hard at something and starting to feel a little worn out. Thank you for posting that quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Corban,
    I am so excited that I finally found a way to place comments onto the blogs.

    I also struggled with listening and quieting my mind for this lesson due to several things. The most important one is that I have always been leery of things like this. But, I must admit that I have alot of mental chatter going on and it was proven by how long it took me to get to the place that I could watch the chatter and not particpate by acting on it. I have made up my mind to give this a chance in hopes that I become a more focused and mentally strong from this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Corban - I love your blog and understand what you are saying. Relaxation exercises are good but can be difficult for some. While I get the benefits it took me a few tries the last time before I could really get into it. Be patient as sometimews that is easier said that done.
    - Lil

    ReplyDelete